Do you ever listen to NPR? Over the last several months they have been running this series of commentaries from both the famous and the not-so-famous entitled “This I Believe.” It is a brief opportunity for someone to get a little personal about whatever. I figured that since NPR is unlikely to want to put me on the air, I would foist myself on you instead. You know, just like I do every month.
Here’s what I believe:
- I believe in that magical feeling you get around a newborn baby.
- I believe in blue jeans any time you can get away with them.
- I believe in warm cinnamon rolls and really, really cold milk.
- I believe the USA basketball team was robbed in the finals of the ’72 Olympics.
- I believe in the sound of the ocean as the sun is going down.
- I believe in lots and lots of laughter.
- I believe in the UCLA Bruins. (Not really. I just desperately want to believe.)
- I believe in decorating your office with your children’s artwork.
- I believe in the sight of a mom, snuggled up with a child, reading a book out loud.
- I believe in quiet Sundays at home.
- I believe in occasionally having breakfast for dinner.
- I believe in the power of really good writing.
- I believe in occasionally letting the kids stay up late—and more than occasionally getting them to bed early.
- I believe in the awe-inspiring National Parks.
- I believe in laptop computers.
- I believe in the smell of fresh cut grass.
- I believe in peaceful music.
- I believe in regularly setting aside your own needs to take care of somebody else’s.
- I believe that I have no idea how the world and all its wonders were created but that for sure it didn’t happen by chance.
- I believe that everyone should try really hard to be nice.
- I believe in the power of prayer.
- I believe that God knows me personally and will help my in life when I ask . . . and when I’m ready.
- I believe in prophets and scripture and promptings of the Holy Spirit.
- I believe in Jesus Christ.
I also believe that I have spent enough time telling you what I believe. Now it’s your turn. What do you believe?
One thought on “This I Believe”
Pingback: Lunching with Snaggly and His Wayward Cousin | Letters to Will